Sunday 11 September 2011

Pork, Potatoes and Pie-rates!

Today my boyfriend has pretty much demanded that we have hot pork sandwiches for dinner - so I kindly obliged and he has been a very happy man!!

I popped it in to a cooking bag and it came out lovely!

I also made some potatoes with an aioli dip to go with it;

Aioli Dip


Ingredients;

1 slice of white bread with the crusts removed

2 tbsp champagne or white wine vinegar

6 large garlic cloves, chopped - depending on how much garlic you like you could use less

2 extra-large egg yolks

1/2 tsp grated lemon zest

3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice

1/2 tsp saffron threads

salt

freshly ground black pepper

good olive oil (do NOT use extra virgin - it will taste completely wrong!!)


Tear the bread in to small pieces and soak it in the vinegar - set aside for 5 minutes.


In a food processor, blend the garlic, egg yolks, zest, juice, saffron, salt and pepper and add the bread after squeezing the excess vinegar out. Once it is blended, slowly pour in the olive oil until it reaches the consistency of thick sour cream/mayonnaise.

Serve with some wedges of potatoes - hot or cold.. cold with a sprinkling of salt is especially yummy!!


-------------------------------------------------------------

Now for the main part of the blog. After telling my Dad I was stumped for ideas for my cooking blog, he requested an apple pie. My Dad, along with the rest of my family, has learnt not to expect anything ordinary from me - so I didn't want to disappoint and decided I would make him and Apple Pie-rate Ship that I came across on Diamonds for Dessert!

Apple Pie-rate Ship


Ingredients;

For the pastry;

255g plain flour

pinch of salt

140g hard margarine or unsalted butter

6 tsp ice cold water

For the filling;


3/4 apples - I used a mixture of braeburn and granny smith but you can use whichever you like

6 tbsp sugar

3/4 tbsp flour

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp salt

a pinch of nutmeg


Sieve the flour and salt in to a bowl, then add the cubed butter. Rub together with your fingertips until they look like breadcrumbs (you need to make sure the butter doesn't melt so to make your hands extra cold run them under the cold water tap for a while!). Add the water a tsp at a time until you make a dough then chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.


Put all of the ingredients for the filling in a bowl and then you can either set them aside until you want to fill the pie if you want a bit of crunch or you can cook the apples for a short while if you want a softer texture.


How to make the pirate ship;


I used a foil tray and bent one of the shorter sides so it formed a ship, I then wrapped it in foil and added a bit of extra foil to the front in order to make the bow of the ship. Spray in a bit of nonstick spray when done.

Roll out your dough and then fill
the container - then prick with a fork all over. Put the left over dough back in to the fridge for later when you cover the pie.

Finally add some baking paper and fill with rice or dried beans and bake in the oven at 200 (Celsius) for 12-15 minutes.



Leave the crust to cool and then add the filling - roll out the rest of the dough and add to the top - slice some lines in to the top of the pie and using a fork press it around the crust edge to join the dough together. Whisk an egg and a bit of milk together and brush over the dough - then sprinkle a little sugar over the top.

Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes at 200 (Celsius) - I then added some chopsticks that I had added some flags to with a little bit of blu-tack.

Serve warm with lashings of custard or cold vanilla ice cream.



Enjoy me hearties!!

No comments:

Post a Comment